Landlords Guide

Introduction to Lettings

The Property

Preparing the home that is to be let is important, ensuring that it is in good decorative order, tidy and that repairs have been carried out. The better the condition of the house the better quality tenants you will attract. First impressions are important and any problems with the home will not go away. In fact they are likely to get worse.

Energy Performance Certificates

Since 1st October 2008, Landlords have been legally required to provide copies of an Energy Performance Certificate to potential tenants. An EPC tells a landlord and prospective tenants how energy efficient a rental property is on a scale of A-G, with A being the most efficient. The EPC certificate also indicates, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the property has on the environment. If landlords fail to obtain an EPC before they market a rental property they may be liable for a fine and must withdraw the property from market until they have obtained one.

Fire Safety

All furniture and furnishing need to meet strict criteria laid out in the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations1988 (amended 1989 and 1993). Under these regulations all upholstered items, including beds and sofas, must have fire resistant filling and have passed a match resistance test. As a general rule items bought before 1988 may need to be replaced. The regulations apply to pillows, beds, sofas, armchairs and nursery furniture but not antique furniture or furniture made before 1950, duvets, curtains and carpets.

Electrical Safety

The electrical wiring in the home must also be safe and in good working order and smoke alarms should be fitted and work properly. Wiring that is more than 15 years old needs to be inspected annually. The relevant law regarding electrical safety for landlords is The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and Smoke Detectors Act 1991.

Gas Safety

Landlords are also required to ensure that any gas boilers and other equipment are serviced once a year. A landlord is also legally required to provide a tenant with an annual gas safety certificate. The service must by carried out by a contractor registered with Gas Safe previously known as CORGI. The relevant law is The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.

Types of Landlord Insurance

  • Your buildings insurance will most likely be included as part of your Maintenance charges and will be renewed by the subsequently appointed block management company
  • Contents insurance to cover items not included as part of the buildings insurance – even if your apartment is to be rented unfurnished; sometimes carpets are not included in the policy, even though the Amtico may be
  • Liability insurance (this may form part of your Contents Insurance) to cover issues such as personal injury claims by tenants
  • Loss of rent insurance (this also may form part of your Contents Insurance) to cover any damage or building work, which makes your property un-rentable for a period of time

Annual Rent Offer 

When you rent out a home you traditionally receive your rent monthly. With Sinclair Hammelton’s ‘Advanced Rent Option’ (ARO™) we will pay your rent up to one year in advance. There is no direct cost for the service and provided you pay our normal un-discounted Management fees there’s nothing more to pay.

Click here for details

The Primary Tenancy™

No-one can deny that renting your home can be a profitable and worthwhile thing to do. It is also true that as the private rental market expands, landlords are faced with ever increasing legislation, regulations and obligations.

One of the key benefits a good agent offers its landlords is to simplify the process of letting your property and ensure you comply with all the rules.

With our primary tenancy, Sinclair Hammelton goes one step further and offers landlords the ultimate in simplicity and peace of mind.

Instead of acting just as your agent, with a Primary Tenancy Sinclair Hammelton becomes your tenant and we sublet your property for a profit rather than a commission. By becoming your tenant we are providing you, our Landlord, with more privacy, protection and peace of mind.

For example we are not obliged to hand your contact details to our sub tenants and in the event of a problem with our sub tenants we can undertake enforcement action against them without your involvement. Even better we offer this option at no cost to you!

Download The Primary Tenancy Brochure

Rent Guarantee

In conjunction with our Primary Tenancy service we can offer you a guarantee which protects you against unpaid rent and legal fees, so we can offer you total peace of mind.

Permission to let

Before you can let your property, you should contact your Mortgage Lender to advise that you will be renting your property and also your Freeholder (if applicable). Your Freeholder may also charge for the Permission to Let and it may be provided on a yearly renewable basis.

Download The Landlords Guide

Client Money Protection is provided by Safeagent (previously known as NALS) – 01242 581712

Click here to view our Safeagent certification

Client Redress Scheme is provided by the Property Ombudsman – 01722 333306

Get an instant online valuation

Find out how much your property is worth